OBIEE 11g installation on Linux
- Oracle Business Intelligence is now more integrate with the Oracle Fusion Middleware software family.
- Oracle Business Intelligence 11g Installer replaces the installer that was used in previous versions of Oracle Business Intelligence. It can perform software installationand configuration steps in the same process or separately in their own processes
- Ø Oracle WebLogic Server replaces Oracle Application Server and Oracle Containers for Java (OC4J).
- This release add the following administration command-line utilities:
- o Oracle WebLogic Server scripting tool (WLST) for managing the Oracle WebLogic Server domain.
- OPMN and the opmnctl commands for the Oracle Process Manager and Notification Server.
- A database repository must be created before installation of the components with the Repository Creation Utility (RCU) tool
- Note: You cannot add Oracle Business Intelligence to an existing domain created by Oracle WebLogic Server or another Oracle Fusion Middleware product
A) Operating System
Recommended OS – In our Case its Linux Version mentioned in the OCDM
Following things must be done in order to proceed for OBIEE 11g Installation
- Creation of the install group
[root@oel11g ~]# groupadd oinstall
2. Creation of the OBI User
2. Creation of the OBI User
[root@oel11g ~]# /usr/sbin/useradd obi -g oinstall
[root@oel11g ~]# passwd obi
Changing password for user obi.
New UNIX password:
BAD PASSWORD: it is WAY too short
Retype new UNIX password:
passwd: all authentication tokens updated successfully.
Creation of the Middleware Home directory
mkdir -p /MiddlewareHome
chown -R obi:oinstall /MiddlewareHome
chmod -R 775 /MiddlewareHome
· Linux– chown: Change owner to the user obi
· chmod 775: Everything is allowed for the owner and read and execute access are allowed for everyone
The prerequis verification of the installer will check all package. With an Oracle Database 11g installed, you need only to install one package (compat-db-4.1.25-9) that you can get from yum of from the installation DVD.
On yum, I found the package compat-db-4.2.52-5.1.i386.rpm that I have copied and installed from the tmp directory.
[root@oel11g tmp]# rpm -Uvh compat-db-4.2*
Preparing... ########################################### [100%]
1:compat-db ########################################### [100%]
4. Set the File Handle Limit parameter
Set the hard and soft limit to the OBI user by modifying the file limits.conf such as for a database installation:
obi soft nofile 4096
obi hard nofile 65536
The maximum File-descriptor must be at least 4096
· To discover the file-descriptor settings, run the command ulimit -a
· Or set file-descriptor using the command ulimit -n 4096
[root@oel11g dev]# ulimit -a|grep open
open files (-n) 4096
5. Environment Variable
You can add them in the .bash_profile shell startup script of the obi user.
# File Descriptor Limit
ulimit -n 10240
# Database Parameters
The database 11gR2 is required
C) DHCP Computer
If you attempt to install on a machine that is using DHCP, does not have a primary DNSsuffix, and does not have a loopback adapter configured, then the Oracle BI installer will stop at the screen prompting for the Administrator user details. This appears as a red cross in the tree on the left hand side of the installer. This issue is caused by the installer not being able to resolve the IP address to a hostname.
D) Get the installation files
Get the installationfiles from the Oracle Business Intelligence (11.1.1.x) Downloads OTN page Alternatively you can get them from edelivery :
· for Oracle Business Intelligence
· and for the RCUFusion Middelware
2. Creation of the metadata repository (with RCU)
Two metadata repositories are needed for:
· the Metadata Services (MDS)
· Business Intelligence Platform (BIPLATFORM) .
To run RCU, you must possess the DBA privilege and logged in as SYSDBA (for example, as user SYS).
When you run RCU, you are creating databases schemas and tablespaces using CREATE ANY SCHEMA, ALTER ANY SCHEMA, CREATE TABLE, CREATE TABLESPACE, and so on. RCUupdates the schema_version_registry by writing entries to the system.schema_version_registry$ system table.
Each Oracle Business Intelligence system (BI domain) requires its own set of database schemas. Two or more systems cannot share the same set of schemas (repository).
This requirement does not apply when you scale out an Oracle Business Intelligence system. In a scaled out (clustered) system, you only run RCU and install the database schemas once, before installing the primary node of the Oracle Business Intelligence cluster (the BI domain for the cluster gets created at that time). Additional Oracle Business Intelligence nodes that you install during the scale-out process become members of that domain and, therefore, use the same set of schemas.
The following privileges are granted to users created by RCU:
· create sequence
· Go to RCU_HOME/bin
· Start RCU:
o Linux and UNIX: ./rcu
· Welcome > Next
· Step 1 of 7: Create Repository > Create > Next
· Step 2 of 7: Database Connection Detail > Fill in the connection detail > Next
· Step 3 of 7: Component Detail > Select the Oracle Business Intelligence Compoment. This action automatically selects the Metadata Services (MDS) schema (under the AS Common Schemas group), which is also required by Oracle Business Intelligence.
· Step 4 of 7: Schema Passwords > Use Same Password for all schemas (pwd)
From the documentation: If you do not select the Use same password for all schemas option and provide a single password for both schemas to share, issues might occur with your Oracle Business Intelligence installation.
· Step 5 of 7: Map TableSpaces > Next. Validation. Ok.
· Step 6 of 7: Summary > Next.
· Step 7 of 7: Completion Summary > Close. The log files are in the directory RCU_HOME\log.
3. Installing OBIEE 11G
To start the installer launch on the directory bishiphome/Disk1/ the file below:
· ./runInstaller for Linux(without the sh extension). There are total 5 Disks for this Installation and make sure that all the Disks are in a single folder and executable permission is set for all.
Make sure that you have created a separate user for OBIEE.
Unzip the downloaded files and copy the DISKS to the the bishiphome folder
the bishiphome folder should have all the DISKS in that.
Start the installation by selecting runInstaller.
Step 1-14 : click NEXT
Step 2-14: Select skip software updates.
Step 3-14: Select Simple/Enterprise install
Step 4-14 : Resolve any missing “Operating System Packages” error before going any further, as shown below
If there is any package error fix it by using the YUM install command or click on this link
If some package is not installed then install it from installation media or download it from following locations:
RedHat Enterprise Linux 5- source packages only
CentOS Linux 5i386
CentOS Linux 5x86_64
Step 5-15 : give ur weblogic password.
Step 6-15 : Provide you INSTALLATION HOME directory
Step 7-15 : select business intelligence /leave default
Step 8-15: Provide the database connection details
Database type : Oracle Database
Connect string : localhost:1521:orcl (give your oracle service name)
BIPLATFORM Schema :
Complete the remaining steps and start the INSTALL
Make sure that all the steps have succeeded.
Click NEXT and finish the install.
Now the installation is complete:
access OBIEE from the below url: